Crack growth calculations become important whenever replacement of an existing component is not easy due to great
effort. Here, crack growth simulation can prove suitability of a component for further operation.
The following example deals with a crack at the edge of a compression-loaded blade.
Task / Calculation
- Calculation of the behaviour of an existing crack under continuous load
- Statement on further applicability of the component
Target / Profit
- Determination of the pressures on the blade by CFD simulation
- Creation of a submodel of the crack's immediate
- Determination of crack growth
- Statements on how to repair the blade with possible measures for further operation